TITLE: Associate Director of Grantmaking & Curatorial Research
LOCATION: New York City (In person and virtual: A hybrid schedule)
TERMS: Full-time, permanent
START DATE: Fall 2022
VIA Art Fund is currently seeking an Associate Director of Grantmaking & Curatorial Research to contribute to the mission of the organization by leading the underwriting of its nearly $1 million annual contemporary arts grantmaking program. The Associate Director of Grantmaking & Curatorial Research reports directly to the Executive Director and works collaboratively to steward and oversee all matters relating to the organization’s deployment of philanthropic capital. This position partners with the Executive Director to think creatively and strategically in serving both artists and art patrons, as well as initiating and expanding VIA’s grant offerings.
The Associate Director of Grantmaking & Curatorial Research is charged with advancing VIA’s core values of Artistic Production, Thought Leadership and Public Engagement across three grant categories: Artistic Production grants awarded in support of the production of new works of art for exhibition in the public realm, Incubator grants for funding of unrestricted general operating support for alternative art organizations across the US, and an annual Curatorial Fellowship award.
As a valuable representative of VIA, the Associate Director of Grantmaking & Curatorial Research must demonstrate the ability to communicate the organization’s grantmaking priorities to art world professionals, applicants, and grantees; to advise applicants in the preparation of grant proposals; to be both champion and critic during the underwriting and selection process; and to ensure proper grantee stewardship, assessment, and reporting. A 360-degree analysis of applicants, and their exhibition plans, production budgets, audience outreach, and other funding sources, is a primary responsibility.
The candidate must have a demonstrated facility with art historical research and be knowledgeable about contemporary art, artists, organizations, and curators. Excellent oral and writing skills are a must as this position will be preparing thorough analyses of grant recommendations for formal committee/board approval and reporting processes, as well as content for the organization’s website and other external outlets. Capacity for critical analysis around a rubric of VIA criteria that reflects our mission is essential.
VIA Art Fund cultivates creativity, collaboration, and innovation with grantees, donors, and staff. Our success relies on participating in an interwoven environment that honors respect, joy, and hard work. As part of a small, integrated team, the Associate Director of Grantmaking & Curatorial Research must be excited to work collaboratively so that VIA meets its mission and goals, as well as have the desire to work under the direction of the Executive Director.
• B.A. in art history, curatorial studies, or related field; M.A. preferred.
• Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in museum, gallery, or other contemporary visual art entity.
• A person engaged in contemporary art discourse.
• Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe Photoshop. Ease with spread sheet and data entry.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, meticulous attention to detail
• Ability to work in fast-paced environment, multi-task, prioritize and complete assigned tasks.
• Proactive, friendly, flexible, engaged demeanor, and a sense of humor.
• Comfort in an externally facing role while maintaining a deep appreciation for the internal workings of the organization; A people person comfortable meeting curators, artists, and other art world constituents.
• Independent problem-solver able to see the bigger picture and structure/systematize tasks and priorities appropriately
• Respectful attitude, philanthropic drive, team spirit, and a willingness to share ideas and learn on the job.
• Highly organized, multi-tasker with strong time management skills.
• Flexibility, adaptability, and resourcefulness.
• Creativity and open-mindedness.
This is a full-time salaried position with occasional weekend and evening hours. Salary: $70,000. Benefits include health benefits, commuter benefits, industry membership, and vacation plan.
ABOUT VIA ART FUND:
VIA Art Fund stands apart in the landscape of contemporary arts funding as a collective initiative that connects art patrons with the most compelling cultural producers in the visual arts. Founded in 2013, the nonprofit organization has garnered global recognition for its bold yet rigorous grantmaking, as well as its unique philanthropic model centered upon a highly participatory donor engagement program. VIA Art Fund supports artists, curators, cultural institutions, and biennials primarily in the United States yet increasingly worldwide, through direct engagement with each grantee. Dedicated to promoting diverse voices and reaching broad audiences, VIA Art Fund champions artist projects that address in a visionary manner today’s pressing social, cultural, and artistic questions, and that challenge notions of traditional exhibition circumstances. VIA Art Fund offers a powerful platform for galvanizing arts philanthropy. For more information about VIA Art Fund, please visit http://viaartfund.org/.
* At present, VIA Art Fund requires proof of vaccination from all staff in order to provide the safest and most comfortable environment for all.
VIA Art Fund is committed to ongoing and sustained equity and inclusion work. All staff are expected to be actively engaged and dedicated to upholding our core values of celebrating our diverse community, pursuing excellence in all that we do, advancing access, exposure, and opportunity to contemporary art, and cultivating creativity.
Submit a one-page cover letter, C.V., and brief professional writing sample, and include contact information for three professional references in PDF format to email@example.com. You may address your letter to Ms. Brooke Davis Anderson, Executive Director.
No phone calls please. For more information about VIA Art Fund, please visit www.viaartfund.org.
Application deadline November 15, 2022.